Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The most important things in life.....are people.

The longer I live, the more I embrace the thought that people are all that matter.  It's so easy to get caught up in the material world, however is that what truly makes you happy?  From personal experience, I've witnessed people who gain those possessions they want, only to take a breath and say "now I want an XYZ." They are never satisfied, always needing to move on to the next possession, certain that IT will bring them happiness.  What void is it they are trying to fill?

I have no clue, but I do know that I'm not going to lay on my deathbed and whisper that I wish I'd spent more time at work, or that I had owned a Hummer or the like.  Its the people that make my life, that bring happiness and laughter, that I want more time with.  My family, friends, online friends.

What I find intriguing is this entire cyberworld that has opened up.  16 years ago when I first touched a computer, I was so fearful.  Today, I am fearful when my computer is not working!  To be able to make one post on Facebook and know my four siblings are all updated is comforting.  To read their activities so easily has made a difference.  Phone wasn't cutting it, computers do.

The online friends I've made (and yes I'm very very cautious, thinking everyone I meet online is an online predator) have become precious to me.  Believe it or not, I have actually been to one girlfriends house that I met online.  You see, we met in the virtual world of SecondLife, became friends, slowly shared real life details, find we live near each other and have talked in voice and on the phone.  So.....off I go and meet her and her family.  Yes, Skylar/Wendy - YOU!  My sweet Texas friend that I'd never have in my life if I wasn't open to the new methods of finding relationships that are available today.

Studies/reports vary widely, but it is generally agreed that the number of relationships (friendships and romantic) starting online has increased greatly in recent years.  One article I read stated that as many as 1 out of 3 relationships (this is relationships....friends, acquaintances, romantic) start online.  The dating world says that approximately 30 percent of the population has tried or knows someone who has tried internet dating sites.  What a change, and if we haven't changed, I guess it's time to wrap our minds around that idea.  It's here and happening.

Yes, I have many friends I've met online, male and female, yes we talk in voice wearing our headsets and yes, I suppose we are nerds if that's what you want to call us.  Will I end up in a real life romantic relationship that is a result of one of those online friendships?  Perhaps.  I'm definitely not opposed to it. I love technology and the doors it has opened to us, doors I never thought existed.  Bring it on!

black bbw
the new atlantis
Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment