Wednesday, January 29, 2014

...awkward...


So, today I found out that I'm the only librarian at Palo Alto College that didn't have to do a teaching presentation for a group as part of the interview process.  Somehow, I slipped through the cracks, otherwise I wouldn't have this job.  

How this came to light....I've been assigned to teach a class on web research, 10 days before the first class.  I am not proficient in the subject by any means.  I don't teach and have never taught anything like this.  I know absolutely nothing about power point nor have I ever opened it.  When I mentioned all this to one of the other librarians she just stared and said "what about your presentation before the group at your interview?"  I asked her what she was talking about.  That is how we discovered that I never really was interviewed.  Someone stepped in to fill a void and never even asked me a question and somehow I got through.  Part of my job is apparently teaching.  I told my co-worker that I hated school, never would have gone back for my masters except it would be paid for if I won a grant (and I did).  Total fluke and what I enjoy is public libraries, I'm no scholar.  I've felt a bit out of my element being there, kind of like I'm an imposter and now I know why.  

I have interviewed for a job at a public library and am in the second round of waiting.  I would love to get the job and get free from the college.  Just not the right fit for me and now everyone is aware of it too.  Just an odd vibe and now it makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment