Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Maui on my Mind

This song Maui On My Mind, has been running through my head since I arrived on Maui a few days ago.  I lived in Hawaii from age 11 through 18, graduating high school from Kalaheo High on the windward side of Oahu.  These years growing up were so unlike any of my other friends that I currently have, and kind of were buried.  My husband once asked me what music I listened to in high school since it didn't seem I had listened to anything he had (Pink Floyd for example).  At the time he asked, I couldn't answer because I just didn't know for some reason.

Now that I'm in Maui and back in the islands, things are coming back that I had buried.  I have no idea why they were buried except that when I went to college, the second time I said I was from Hawaii, one of my sorority sisters gave me a really hard time and told me no I wasn't because my mom lived in Lincoln (she had moved to same city I went to school in - Lincoln, Nebraska - shortly after I had moved for school).  I was told I was a Lincoln Girl and I was lying when I said I was from Hawaii.  It didn't seem to matter that I had spent the last seven years of my life in Hawaii and that my dad and brother lived there still.  I was pressured into never mentioning it.  That was the start of my hate of college.  And unfortunately I will never forget who it was that said all that and made me feel like this.  Not only the words, but she went through my greek yearbook and crossed out Hawaii by my name.  I'm sorry, but at this point in my life, I'm going to say "what a bitch".  I'm sure she's not, now, but it's a great lesson on words and how they affect others.  

So.....I never mentioned or thought about where I came from that often.  And that makes me incredibly sad that I was influenced so much and let her do that to me.  

As we've been on Maui, memories from over 37 years ago are flooding back and the tears are at the surface.  I tear up often for seemingly no reason.  I so want to just quit my life as it is and stay here.  The beauty that had surrounded me for years is still here and the laid back attitude is so far from what I live on a day to day basis.  I want peace.  I want happy.  I want tranquility and beauty.  Daily.  And to appreciate and remember them always.  

Arriving on Maui and driving....so different from San Antonio.  In SA everyone is so aggressive (me included) and out to be faster, not let people in.  Here...dang, I made a mistake, slow down, try to figure out if I'm to turn left.....the person coming at me is driving maybe 20, slows and stops.....waiting for me to turn if that's what I need to do.  People anticipate, drive slow, give the right of way to others constantly.  Kindness.  So nice. Made me feel so happy that there is a land where people are genuinely kind.  And no, I wasn't in tourist area at the time.  We had taken a detour to Wailea to a very local area to stop by a shop we wanted to hit before going to the resort.  Believe me, I know that the locals realize where the money comes from and who to be nice to.  That is tourism.  

Any time I've taken a vacation before, I've had a hard time letting life go and relaxing immediately. NOT SO this time.  I'm not sure how I'm going to handle going back to work.  I think we are going to have to start talking about lifestyle and where we truly want to live.  What our sacrifices are going to be. Timeline.  Life is too short to live the way I have been.  I need to truly feel and enjoy.  Let the people and crap go that aren't truly beneficial.  Live a life I love.  Come along for the ride if you are willing to do same.....leave the crap behind....drama, game playing, fakeness.  I can't do this anymore.  I need the peace and beauty back in my life that I once had and was too young to appreciate.  It's not too late.

What did I listen to in high school?  Kalpana, Cecelio & Kapono, The Beamers, Olomana.  Bob Scaggs, Loggins & Messina, Elton John.  A lot of local influence.  I missed a lot of what the mainland kids grew up on, but I had incredible local talent in my ears as well that the mainland didn't have like we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment