Saturday, March 24, 2018

...let the cleaning begin!

I'm all about natural, thus my push to get chemicals out of my life.  Fabrics?  COTTON!!!   Well, I'll take linen as well but 100 percent cotton is my hands down favorite.  I know it wrinkles, but the most important thing to me is that it breathes!

I have a tendency to be warm so clothing and bedding must be 100 percent cotton.  Sometimes, like in pillows, I do have to give in a bit.  I found pillows that are cotton shells and interior are hypoallergenic and washable.  Guess what was washed today?

If you haven't washed your pillows lately, please do.  They get filled with dust mites, oils and moisture from our faces and goddess only knows what else.  So today.....pillow cases off, as well as pillow protectors (you do have pillow protectors between your pillows and pillow cases, don't you?  Or am I simply a bit more germophobe/clean freak than most?  Me and Sheldon....).

Unfortunately, I saw some yellowish stains on my pillows.  Sweat, saliva, I don't really want to know but it creeped me out.  And I wash my pillows every three months or so.  Pillow cases every week, protectors not as often as the cases.  Ugh.  HOT water into the machine, two pillows to keep the load balanced and Seventh Generation detergent.  Then a cap of Thieves Concentrate from Young Living.  Moved my pillows into the dryer and tossed in my wool dryer balls (see older post) that I had put lavender on and push that dryer button.  About 30 minutes later, I HAVE THE FLUFFIEST, CLEANEST, MOST WONDERFUL SMELLING PILLOWS!!!  Those dryer balls do wonders - smashing around inside the dryer, putting pockets of air between items allowing them to dry faster and fluffing up those pillows!  

Did you catch all that natural stuff?  Yes I used laundry "detergent" but it was Seventh Generation at least.  Haven't gotten to making my own yet.  No more dryer sheets in my house, simply oversized wool dryer balls with essential oils on them (added about 15 minutes before being tossed into the dryer, the oil that is....so oil spots don't get on your items).  

Well, spring has already sprung and the spring cleaning has started.  Are you joining me?  If you have any specific questions on cleaning without chemicals, email or message me and I'll be happy to guide you!

No comments:

Post a Comment