Saturday, September 25, 2010

I STILL want to run away and join the circus....

I fell in love with Cirque du Soleil back in 1988 or so when some of the execs stayed at the hotel I worked in and I coordinated their stay.  They rewarded me with tickets to the show in San Jose.  I have to say that I almost did not go....my thinking being 'French Canadian circus, no animals, what's the draw?'   LUCKILY I conned my friend Dona to leave husband for the afternoon and come with me.  Done.  Hooked. Addicted.  Part way through the show Dona looked at me and said "what are we tripping on?'

The most incredible complete sensory experience I've ever had, the music is very distinct, loud and all the way into your bones.  Every single minuscule move is choreographed to a degree you wouldn't believe until you saw it.  Equipment appears on stage by costumed, choreography, not by stagehands running it on.  So much is happening at once that you have to just let go and lose yourself in the event.....for me it is all consuming, an experience like no other I've ever had.

I've seen a number of their shows, spending obscene amounts of money on tickets and merchandise.  I've read as much as I can find.  I've dreamt of joining them if I could only find my special talent.  When the girls were little, their dad and I would say things like "hey, now THAT is a family talent that will get us all into Cirque."  

The other day I was getting ready for work when I heard on my local radio station that Cirque was coming to the Cedar Park Center.  As soon as payday hits.....cha-CHING!  Purchase those tickets.  Think we're planning on Sunday March 13 at 1 pm.  See you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment