Thursday, March 10, 2011

No shushing allowed

Mention libraries and people automatically go into shush mode.  I'm sorry but libraries are changing and public libraries especially.  We have to change to stay relevant professionals.  Technology is taking over.  Cell phones are our number one method of communicating whether text or vocally.  I can not tell you how often library members need to access an account online and talk on their phone to the representative.  I have no problem with this.  Bring out the cell phones.  Bring your lunch or a drink (just not at the computers).

More important, libraries are becoming the center of the community.  Not just for information, but for hanging out and chatting, meeting up, playing games.  Talking requires a bit of noise.  I'm all for it.  I want to share information, laugh, have fun.  No more stereo types at my library about shushing librarians, or the librarian from the black lagoon.  We're not monsters.  Typically we're happy, a bit off kilter, goofy, people that like to laugh, love artists of all kinds, enjoy diversity and love to chat.  Come on, visit with us.....I promise, no shushing from THIS librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment