Sunday, July 14, 2013

Peter Frampton at the Majestic

July 24 brought Peter Frampton to the Majestic Theater in San Antonio.  Back in Marcxh or April or so, my favorite man asked me to the concert.  Of course, back then things were still pretty new and I thought he was brave asking me for a date a couple months or more away.  So I felt obligated to date him, til the concert at least......ok that was a JOKE.  I had already fallen in love with the guy and wasn't going to tell him that any time soon, and took comfort in the fact that he felt secure enough to commit to a date that far out.

Back in my senior year in high school, the FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE tour made its way through Honolulu and my bff Sharon and I went.  Who else went, not sure.  Age remember, 52 here and that was waaaay back in 1978 or 1979.  Frampton used to play on my little stereo, on an ALBUM....you know those grooved vinyl things that a needle had to run over.  Double album set.  Sharon and I draped over my bed.  Topic:  boys.  What else?  Specially with Sharon as a bestie!!  :)  

Second time around with Frampton....this time I'm with my new bestie, Stacy, and starting a beautiful new chapter in my life.  I'd never been into the Majestic and yes, it is Majestic.

Glare from the lights is bad, but at least got a bit of the look of the theater, although the website does it justice, not this.  These are just my satisfaction that I really was here.

 Little less glary and looking to side boxes.  What a great setting to watch a show in.  I'd love to come back for more concerts and stage shows.  Think I can pull the man along.

Kenny Wayne Sheppard opened the show for Frampton, a country rock guitar player and his band.  Best song was Black on Blue.  Rest.....ok, not my style and nothing stand out.

But then there was Frampton.  Boy have we all aged.  Bald on top, fringe of white hair.....hated when he looked like a little old man to me cause it reinforced how old I have gotten.  BUT MAN can he plan and perform.  Still sounds like the same young guy that rolled through town 25 years ago.  I'm sure in his head he is am I'm still no older than 29 and Stacy is 31.  

Yes, he played the Comes Alive songs.  Tears rolled down my cheeks and I fought to steady my lip.  Memories slammed into me and thoughts of Sharon ran through my head.  Wonder that she is still my friend all these 35 years later.  And yes, now as I sit here typing this....weeks later, tears again.  Ok, ok, it's an old person thing.  Sheesh.  It's valuing people and the precious memories and realizing that is all that counts.  

Frampton brought Steve Lukather out on stage, a friend for many many years, the 80s I believe he said. Lukather is formerly of Toto and played some incredible guitar with Peter.  

Peter Frampton, of all people, guitar player that he is.....could get away with playing some covers.  He did Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun which he covered on his 2006 instrumental album FINGERPRINTS.  He also slipped a very appropriate While My Guitar Gently Weeps into his ovation songs.  Peter recorded this Beatles song on his 2009 album NOW.  

During the ovations, Stacy made the comment that everyone was really dancing.  Then he laughed and said...."they are stretching!!!".  Well yea we were swaying and dancing and stretching or attempting to camouflage the stretches into something else, but yes, he was right on with this crowd!

The Majestic Theater was magical to me.  I'll be back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment