Sunday, February 24, 2013

Time for yourself....

"Someone" introduced me to the concept of sitting in the sun for 30 minutes and basically meditating.  Can't say I've got my head wrapped around meditation but I like the idea.  And honestly I shouldn't say sun, just outdoors, even if a cloudy day....fresh air, exposed, free to let the mind wander or be still.

Today I sat outside....had been working hard so had on capri length yoga pants and a workout fitted tank.  Was a bit chilly so brought a quilt with me and sat in the sun....what a pick me up!  So great to have been working hard and take a break so basic, so simple.  Too bad we forget these things.  I want to live with purpose, not forget the simple things in life and to appreciate them.  Slow down.  That is counter to what society has ingrained into us lately.  The buzz word seems to be multitasking yet think about it. That is a tech definition but c'mon!  Execute on several distributed processors....well first off we have ONE brain, one person.

SIMULTANEOUSLY!  So, chat on the phone with your bff....unload the dishwasher and make a grocery list.  Is your bff getting the best of you?  Are you really listening?  Do you hear the tears or hesitation in her voice?  Slow down.  When was the last time you really lost yourself in a conversation.  A REAL conversation.  Deep.  Significant.  Put yourself there, drop the multitasking and be IN the moment.  Those are the things that count.  So what if you die and the dishwasher wasn't loaded?  Get that conversation in.  Make those memories.  Do what matters, really matters and do it with meaning and your entire being engaged.  Don't short change the people in your life.

So....yes. I sat in the sun.  Didn't even read today.  Often I do, but today, I enjoyed the slight breeze that made it a bit too cool to be without my quilt, and the warmth of the sun hitting my arms and legs.  The sounds of outside and the neighborhood, the sound of my daughter inside. My sweet Cowboy who had to wander up next to me on the little perch of a patio and stand on the edge just so he could be right next to me.  His soft fur and the way he pushed his nose into my face to plant a sloppy wet one on me.  If I was involved in other things at the same time, I'd have missed all the joy in that 30 minutes.  Simple....meditation, one step at a time.  Once a day to start.  Appreciating.

Sending a huge thank you to my special someone that brought that into my life.  One thing he said after the first time we sat in the sun together?  "I like that we don't have to talk and it's ok to be quiet."  Warmth spread in my heart.  It is, thank you for giving me that.

2 comments:

  1. During my recent 17 day stay in the hospital one of the "bright spots" was that my room faced directly east and I had an unobstructed view of the Sierra Nevada foothills and the sunrise. Hospitals are not the greatest place to catch up on your sleep so I found myself awake every morning at about 5:30 AM.
    It quickly became my ritual to position my wheelchair so that I could watch the sunrise. I would sit there for probably 45 minutes to get the full effect. Almost every morning someone would stick their head in my room and ask "what are you doing?", Invariably my answer would be "enjoying the sunrise, of course". Some people got it but more often I think they walked away scratching their heads.
    Search for, capture and enjoy the Zen moments in life as they're presented to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! Steve have you checked out zenhabits.net? It inspires me.

      Delete