Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Two favorite books....and a blog


Over the years I've been pursuing the simple life, sustainability, living frugally...one concept?  No it's a mix, honestly.  I pick and choose what I like and what hits me from many different sources, putting into play my favorites.

About 15 years ago I ran across Tracey McBride's books, the first being Frugal Luxuries.  People often equate frugal with cheap, however I see it completely different.  To live frugally means that I am saving money in ways that I deem acceptable so that I have funds to spend on things that I enjoy.  It does NOT mean that I will buy the cheapest things out there and will sit at home with the lights off to save money.  It's simply a matter of choosing priorities as to where your money goes that gives you the most enjoyment and satisfaction.

I love the challenge of bargain hunting.  I think it was Walmart (of all places...not a favorite of mine) that had a commercial a few years back around Christmas where the woman in it was a "bargain looker-outer" and she did the hovering circular motion with her hands.  I really connected with that....I am an incredible bargain looker-outer.  I love the thrill of finding the best deal for things, of wandering through the local consignment store and finding that amazing Chicos Jean Jacket embellished with all kinds of jewels for $10 that looks brand new (true recent story).  These kind of things leave me the funds to spend on travel or my home or a tree I've wanted in my yard, or an incredible dinner out at Tokyo Steakhouse with my kids.  Things others might consider frivolous, but that I get great enjoyment out of.

And then there are frugal luxuries.  Roses cut from my backyard in an old pickle jar on my side-table.  A ten-cent garage sale find of an old handkerchief with little pansies all over it that I keep in my purse.  These things cost basically nothing, but are little luxuries that I completely cherish and put a smile on my face.  Let Tracey teach you about Frugal Luxuries on her website or through one of her books.  Not sure I'll loan one of mine out, they are too valuable to me, but I'll help you find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment