Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Better


So how does that happen?  That someone brings out the better things in you?  Or do they really?  Are the better things there just aching to get out and you just can't be yourself except with the right person/people?

Happiness, contentment.  Haven't known these in years and have been bitter in the past.  That is gone and I finally got to the point that I was ready for someone in my life.  Because with the RIGHT person, I'm better.  I'm not good alone.  Wrong person?  Bitch extraordinaire!  Right person?  Calm, relaxed, happy.

Way back about a year ago January, I figured I was ready to be involved with someone.  I wanted someone in my life.  I tried match.com and eventually okcupid.com.  Yea, the online dating meat market.  But where the heck is someone my age going to meet people when you live in the middle of redneck country Texas?

So yea, online dating.  WOW.  Men were still like 15 year old boys, or at least the ones I was running into.  About April I was more convinced than ever I was ready for someone.  I bought a frame that says "live, love, laugh" on it with spots for three pictures.  I was convinced that this would be my magnet and that I would be filling these picture slots up before too long.  I wanted that.

Come December, almost a year exactly from when I thought I was ready to meet someone, I saw a profile highlighted in the recent activity section of okcupid.com.  I liked the snippet I saw, opened the profile, probably went back to it three times and every time kept trying to give myself the nerve to message the guy.  I finally did, even though he lived in San Antonio.  But dang, his profile was awesome and I REALLY REALLY liked what I read and told him so and asked if it was worth chatting even with the distance.  For me it was worth the distance if he was as awesome as his profile was telling me.  He read my profile and responded like I did.....and we met at Chili's midway between our homes.  A month of middle ground meetings and I finally quit dragging my feet and took the leap to spend a weekend at one of our homes.

That was end of January.  Now middle of May.  This man is mine and he makes me a better person simply by being who he is and caring about me.  I suppose it's the comfort that I am loved and accepted and the one he wants to spend his life with that makes me a better me, more me, happy, free and content to be who I am.  Dating at this age was very different in that we talked reasonably, future, what can you put up with, here's my issues and what are yours?  Like my brother Steve said....."What????  Not rainbows and unicorns?  You did it right like we all should have the first time?"

So my life is going to make some big changes, our lives are.  We are going to combine our lives and make a home together and pursue forever.

I'm looking forward to filling up my picture frame....love that man.  He does bring me peace and I sleep much better when he is with me.  MINE.

No comments:

Post a Comment