Friday, May 3, 2013

Save the Earth


Austin has a single use bag ban that became effective in March of 2013.  You know, those flimsy little bags from WalMart or your local grocer?  Banned.  Gone.  Even single use paper as I understand.  You need to bring your own reuseables or be charged for a sturdier reusable bag.  LOVE THIS.   I'm in an Austin bedroom community I suppose you'd call it.  Doesn't effect us, but dang I wish it would.  I abide by it anyway.

Probably 20 years ago I bought some awesome bags and started using them, the girls as they were born and started growing up, were always mortified cause I was the weird one in line with my own bags.  My favorites are the string bags and my wonderful canvasy looking heavy duty totes.  BUT....I do have a wish list going.  So....Austin puts this ban on plastic shopping bags, but what about the flimsy plastic bags you put your veggies and fruits in?  Nope, not banned.  Weird huh?  Well, I for one am going to ban them in my own right and am looking to buy mesh bags to take to the store soon in their place.  Got a whole wish list going on what I'm going to purchase to help make my life greener.  My favorite place to get the bags?  Reuse it.

Nothing special about this post other than passing on resource links....and encouraging to use your own bags.  Oh, and a tip.  Probably the most overlooked thing I've picked up in talking to people who use their own bags.....don't forget to toss them in the washing machine.  Think about it if you don't......meat leaks, veggies, bacteria, heat of sitting in the car....'nuff said.





No comments:

Post a Comment