Thursday, April 4, 2013

Finding warm fuzzies in the little things

"The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention." - Oscar Wilde


Lifting this quote and pic from my brother's blog, brain damage.  It's just too true.  And things like this have been on my mind lately.  Simple things like tonight the man I'm seeing called and the first words I heard were "hi beautiful".  He's done that before, but MAN it makes me smile and my heart soar.  Simple act of kindness.  

Today I interviewed (and hired) a new employee and she was so kind and polite.  Young, perhaps 20 and when the interview was done and we were saying goodbye, her kindness (which I'd already commented on to her  mother in a prior conversation a week or so ago) popped out.  She stopped, stood right in front of me, looked me in the eye and just focused on me and thanked me for the interview and the job.  Her little attention to the detail of kindly acknowledging the entire process, even though it was an informal one, was an amazing kindness that we often don't see today. 


My ultimate simple act of kindness that just makes me get all fuzzy and smiley?  Pick up drinks at the drive through for my daughter and I, place them in the cup holders and hand the straws to her.  She then proceeds to unwrap my straw and put it in my drink.  That's it.  You didn't miss it, that small act of opening my straw and putting it in my drink is a HUGE kindness to me.  Me, the one that takes care of others and rejoices in it....to have someone share that simple take care of me kindness?  Major warm fuzzies.  


THOSE are the little simple things that mean caring to me.  Anyone can spout out grandiose intentions and not follow through or perhaps do follow through.  But it's the day to day caring that shows up in kindnesses .... these just send kisses to my nerve endings.


Yet another simple teeny tiny piece in the process of mindfulness I'm sure.  But again, it's a choice to see them and appreciate them and to me?  That's happiness, contentment and wonderful memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment